Saturday, January 24, 2009

Metallica is Back!


It's been a long time since I've popped my Metallica cassettes to my tape player. Yes, its that bad.
 
Like any other, I was (still am) a huge Metallica fan. They were introduced to me by a College friend thru their Kill 'Em All album. A few days from that introduction, I started collecting their albums and was able to get a hold of most of their early release.
 
Their appeal to me was their clarity of guitar riffs, angry lyricism and fast thrash drum beats. Although Dave Mustaine is critical with Kirk Hammett's guitar playing, accussing him of stealing his riffs when Kirk first joined Metallica, I still like the way Kirk play, especially on most of the songs on their "...And Justice for All" album. I also like the drum beats of Lars Ulrich as it was my first introduction to trash metal, and it was a fruitful introduction.
 
All these changed when they realeased Load. I felt they started softening off their style to have mainstream appeal, which does not appeal to me :-( Some believed that it all started with the Black Album, but there are still a lot of things that I like with this album. With Load, its really disappointing.
 
 
And then comes Death Magnetic, and after listening to half the tracks on the album, I know that my idols are back.
 
As a Rolling Stones review said:
"Death Magnetic is the musical equivalent of Russia's invasion of Georgia — a sudden act of aggression from a sleeping giant.
 
"this album is Metallica becoming Metallica again — specifically, the epic, speed-obsessed version from the band's template-setting trilogy of mid-Eighties albums: Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning and, especially, the progged-out ...And Justice for All. That much is clear from the 90-second mark of Death Magnetic's first track, "That Was Just Your Life," where the band unleashes a barrage of James Hetfield's dutta-duh-duhnt riffing and Lars Ulrich's octuple-time double-bass-and-snare smashing."
Nothing much is left to say except "It's good to have you back, I miss you so, so much..."
 

No comments: