Saturday, June 21, 2008

My Kid's Predicament



It has been a routine of mine to fetch Lanz from school whenever its my off. I'll leave the house at 4 pm and go directly to his school in Unisite.

Yesterday was a particularly challenging day for me as a father and as someone who can remain objective when a loved one is being criticized.

The moment I looked inside Lanz classroom, his teacher came out and cornered me, telling me that she is getting distracted as Lanz is inattentive, does not listen when she is discussing something in front of the class, Lanz will not acknowledge the teacher when she calls his attention, he is too quiet, not mingling with his classmates, has a habit of playing with his hands when the teacher is discussing, he acts as if he is bored, he answers question maturely (i.e. pilosopo daw sumagot) compared to how a Grade 2 will answer, and one thing that scared the teacher was that Lanz suddenly laughed as if remembering something funny.

That was a mouthful since Lanz has had his class for only 2 weeks. Is my  child misbehaving that much that his teacher gets so distracted?

What happened next was an example on how a father should defend his child, hehehe:

The first thing I asked his teacher was that how is he doing in school academically, and she said he was doing great. He just had a 100% on a recent quiz in Civics; but he is not doing good on seatwork or things that they do inside the classroom because he is not listening to instructions.

I was about to ask, "so what's the problem?", hehehe, but I bit that down. I was also about to say that its just been a few days into the school year and she might just be getting to know the students, isn't she a bit over reacting? But I bit that one too.

What I told her was that we haven't receive any feedback like that from Lanz's previous teachers. I also told her that Lanz is like that at home, inattentive, does not answer when you call him, easily gets bored and if he is doing something that very interesting for him, he will not let himself be distracted from that activity, no matter what.

She told me that she will try to talk to Lanz previous teachers and I promised him that I will talk to my child.

She mellowed a bit when she heard my promise, I can see that she really want us, parents, to talk to Lanz. I asked that she be more patient with Lanz.

I talked to Lanz about it while on our way SM and he got teary-eyed at first, then on my prompting, he said he sometimes get bored in class. I told him that he needs to listen to his teacher while in class, its one of his responsibility so that he will know their lessons. I was able to make him promise to be more attentive.

This will be a continuing saga, as it seems that Lanz teacher is very sensitive to these stuffs, and another thing is that she is pregnant. We were thinking that she might be sensitive to Lanz actions because pinaglilihian niya.

One thing that I feel good about this encounter is that we probably have a genius in the family. Isn't it geniuses easily get bored on anything and they are very eccentric. I just hope that he will be a genius on something that will make us rich.

No comments: