Wednesday, July 9, 2008

My mobo is an upgrader's dream :-)

My rig has been is service for a few years now, I built it by buying brand new and second computer parts. Its actually the second computer that I built. The first one was an AMD Duron on a ECS K7S5A motherboard, a very disappointing setup because I can't get decent frame rates when playing my favorite game, Call of Duty.
 
I decided to build a new one but I am too wary in upgrading at that time, since it will be a significant expense. So I looked for a motherboard that I know I will not upgrade for a long time.
 
And I came across ASRock 939 Dual-SATA2 and I knew I found the board of my dream. It was not love at first sight. I've read a lot of reviews about the board first before deciding that this is the board for me.
 
My lovely board
 
This board is an upgrader's dream? Why? Here's why.
 
* The Southbridge chipset of the ASRock 939 Dual-SATA2, the ULi 1567, has native support for AGP 8x (Accelerated Graphics Port) and PCI-Express x16. Native support means that all special performance enhancing features of AGP are retained.
 
The ULi 1567 chipset
 
This means that I can still use the Radeon 9550 Extreme Edition 128 mb (AGP) that I bought from Janus. I don't have to upgrade to a PCI Express card yet.
 
The AGP and PCI Express slots
 
* My board has two ATA-133 (Advanced Technology Attachment) connectors that can accommodate up to 4 IDE (Integrated Drive Electornics) device.
 
This means that I can continue using my IDE devices like my hard disk and my DVD burner.
 
The ATA-133 connectors
 
And the board also has two SATA (Serial Advanced Technology Attachment)/SATA Raid (Redundant Array of Independent Disks) connectors supported by ULi M1567 plus a 3Gb SATA2 slot with NCQ (Native Command Queuing) supported by a JMicron JMB360 chip.
 
The JMicron JMB360 chipset
 
I just added a Seagate 160 gig SATA 7200 rpm a few months ago and it has made my storage life very satisfying.
 
* And lastly, my  board has a Future CPU port that supports a CPU upgrade from AMD K8 939-Pin CPU to AM2 940-Pin CPU through AM2 CPU Board.
 
The Future CPU Port with the jumpers that you need to change
 
Here is my board's specifications:
 
General
CPU- Socket 939 for AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64FX / 64X2 / 64 processors
- FSB 1000 MHz (2.0GT/s)
- Supports HyperTransport Technology
- Supports AMD Cool'n'Quiet Technology
Chipset- Northbridge: ULi® M1695
- Southbridge: ULi® M1567
Memory- Dual Channel DDR memory technology
- 4 x DDR DIMM slots
- Supports DDR400 non-ECC, un-buffered memory
- Max. capacity of system memory: 4GB*

*Due to the operating system limitation, the actual memory size may be less than 4GB for the reservation for system usage under Windows® XP. For Windows® XP 64-bit with 64-bit CPU, there is no such limitation.
BIOS- 2Mb AMI BIOS with ACPI, SM BIOS 3.0, PnP
 Audio, Video and Networking
Graphics- n/a
Audio- Realtek 850 7.1channel AC'97 audio codec
LAN- Realtek RTL8201CL 10/100 Ethernet LAN PHY
- 802.3u, WOL supported
 Expansion / Connectivity
Slots- 1 x Future CPU Port (Supports CPU upgrade from AMD K8 939-Pin CPU to AM2 940-Pin CPU through AM2 CPU Board)
- 1 x AGP8X/4X slot , 1.5V only
- PCI Express x16 slot
- PCI Express x1 slot
- 3 x PCI slots
Connector- 2 x SerialATA connectors support RAID,0,1,JBOD
- 1 x SATA2 connector (based on PCI E SATA2 controller JMB360)
- 2 x ATA 133/100/66 IDE connectors (supports 4 x IDE devices)
- 1 x Floppy connector
- CPU/Chassis FAN connectors
- 20 pin ATX power connector
- 4 pin ATX 12V power connector
- Power LED connector
- CD audio in header
- Front panel audio connector
- 2 x USB 2.0 port pin headers (to support extra 4 USB2.0 ports)
Rear Panel I/OASRock 8CH I/O
- 4 x USB2.0 ports
- 1 x RJ45 LAN port
- 1 x Serial port (COM1)
- 1 x PS2 Keyboard connector
- 1 x PS2 Mouse connectors
- 1 x Parallel port (LPT1)
- 2 x Audio ports to support 8 Ch audio ( Line In/Out, Mic In)
 Other Features / Miscellaneous
Hybrid Booster- CPU Frequency Stepless control
- CPU Multiplier
- ASRock U-COP
- Boot Failure Guard (B.F.G)
Support CD- Drivers, Utilities, AntiVirus Software
- SATA driver and utility
Accessories- Quick Installation Guide, Support CD, I/O shield
- Floppy/ATA 133 cables
- 1 x SerialATA data cable (optional)
- 1 x SerialATA 1-to-1 power cable (optional)
Hardware Monitor- CPU Temperature Sensing
- Motherboard Temperature Sensing
- CPU Fan Tachometer
- Chassis Fan Tachometer
- Voltage Monitoring: +12V, +5V, +3.3V, Vcore
Form Factor- ATX, 305mm x 244mm
OS- Microsoft® Windows® 2000 / XP / XP 64-bit compliant
Certifications- FCC, CE, MS WHQL
 
Wish List
 
Some of the things that I would want with my board:
 
* AM2CPU upgrade board, already available, but I am not sure if I can buy one here in the Philippines.
 
The AM2CPU Upgrade Board
 
* DDRII (Double Data Rate) support
 
My board only supports DDR.
 
* SLI or CrossFire support
 
 
 
SLI (Scalable Link Interface) is a brand name for a multi-GPU solution developed by Nvidia for linking two or more video cards together to produce a single output. While CrossFire is  is a brand name for ATI Technologies' multi-GPU solution, which competes with SLI from Nvidia.
 
My board currently does not support both solutions.

No comments: