Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Bjork - Her Music or Her Image?

 
 
I've been listening to Bjork since I was in high school, not really a big fan but I like the way she sings: hypnotic, dark, melancholy, and deeply emotional.
 
I am also intrigued on the way she experiments with her music, mixing mesmerizing vocals with jazz rhythms, electronic effects, techno, and classical.
 
She was introduced to me by MTV during my high school days nga, the time I was into collecting cassette tapes. I saw a music video of Isobel, fell in love with her and immediately bought her Post album,
 
But most probably due to having very limited budget at that time, Post was the only album that I was able to buy, tapos the curiosity faded and I forgot about her.
 
Last night, I was rummaging thru some of the CDs that my brother had given me, halo-halo, may mga audio CDs, mp3 collection, concerts, movies and videoke. I came across a Bjork folder on one of the mp3 collection CDs and the curiosity came back.
 
So I loaded some of her songs on my player and I just listened to Hyperballad, Human and Isobel. And the kiliti is still there! Akala ko kasi mawawala na iyong appreciation to the weird, extraordinary, odd, true original, and experimental as we grow old. Hindi pala.
 
I still love the way Bjork wails, the way she enunciates, her diction and pronunciation of the English language (she's Icelandic).
 
Isobel lyrics
 
 
That's her music, what about her image.
 
The way she dresses is like her music, a lot of experimentation and a true original. Its like she is living a collection of fairy tales. 
 
And straight from the horse's mouth, here is what she has to say:
"The reason I do photographs is to help people understand my music, so it's very important that I am the same, emotionally, in the photographs as in the music. Most people's eyes are much better developed than their ears. If they see a certain emotion in the photograph, then they'll understand the music."
Bjork, Index Magazine, july 2001
Here are some of her pics:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Photo 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: